Up at the crack of dawn (along with all the non-sleeping schoolkids)
Vesuvius quietly towers over ancient Pompeii and the heavily populated bay of Naples. They say she historically erupts every 2000 years.
Back on the bus, lunch along the way at an Autogrill - Italy's version of a truck stop. Nothing like an American truck stop greasy spoon. Really good food, prepared fresh, with just about anything else you could need, but not hokey stuff. Digging the Autogrill!
Next stop was the Sicily Rome American Cemetery & Memorial. Almost 8,000 American soldiers are buried here, casualties of the fight to liberate Sicily and Italy in WWII. It amazes me that locals would visit an American cemetery. Would Americans do the same if the tables were turned? I don't know. I would hope so.
Back on the bus to find our hotel, smack in the middle of busy busy Rome on a rainy Friday night. Good logistical location and an interesting room (with 4 people -ugh!) with a giant bathroom but no shower curtain (wha?)
Dinner was great at a trattoria right down the street. I had some kind of pasta with red sauce and bacon! And bruschetta! Mmm. So full. But not so full that I couldn't fit some gelato in too. Mmm. Now I'm stuffed! Where did I pack the Pepto?
No comments:
Post a Comment