We find pavement, and head further southwest to the beautiful bucolic Loire Valley. Actually, outside the city, much of France is beautiful and bucolic. We stop for a late lunch in what I think was Amboise, the place where Leonardo Da Vinci died. Wish we had time to visit the Chateau d'Amboise, where King Francois I lived. At age 22, he had Da Vinci, who was 65, moved here just so he could enjoy his intellectual company. When the king tells you to come and move to his town, I guess you just can't tell him no. Da Vinci lived out his last years here at Chateau du Clos-Luce, which was connected to the king's chateau by a long tunnel, built so the king could come and go, visiting with Da Vinci as he pleased. Not many English speaking people here, but it was a charming little town and wish we could've stayed longer than a lunch hour.
Back on the bus for the long ride back to the city. We make a pit stop at a gas station, with a one seater bathroom, of course, and a bus full of 7 guys and 23 girls and 15 minutes to be back on the bus or else. Us girls wait and wait and wait as time ticks away while the mensroom is vacant. One of us braves it and takes advantage of the vacancy with no problem. I can't say that I've ever used the mensroom before, but I don't really want to have to hitchhike back to Paris, so I guess there's a first time for everything, right? 5 minutes before the bus leaves, so okay I'll chance it. Of course, I come out to three guys standing in line. Je suis desole, monsieurs! American girl had to go. Didn't want to have to thumb it back to the hotel!
No comments:
Post a Comment