Friday, July 10, 2009

Paris to Athens (GA)

Day 17 - May 27

Beat the sun up this morning so we could get to Charles de Gaulle on time for our flight home. There's nothing like airport security. Really, how many times do they have to look at my passport and boarding pass? Is once not enough? I know its for everyone's safety, but 4 times??? At least they were nice about it.

Our plane for the flight back was a lot bigger than the flight over. Not quite as cramped. Unfortunately, all my entertainment bailed on me - my headphones wouldn't work for the movie as all I could hear was a hum, my ipod was dead since I forgot to charge it, and my eyes were too tired to read. Hmmm, guess I'll just drift in and out of consciousness for 8 hours...zzzz...hope I didn't drool or talk in my sleep or do the head bob thing. Nobody poked me. I guess I didn't do any of those things.

After touch down in Newark, we faced customs. I was hoping they wouldn't take my cheese I bought in Paris at the fromagerie. Fortunately after much unnecessary apprehension, my cheese was safe. Whew! Now for the long layover for the ATL flight...which was delayed a couple hours - will this day ever end??? Finally made it to Atlanta around 9pm Georgia time...that's about 16 hours of traveling..ugh. And still another two hours to go on the drive home. Fortunately my friend Jen hooked me up with the park and fly folks who treated me like a queen and had my ride ready. I had to stop at Chick-fil-a before hitting the highway though. Gotta have some sweet tea after 17 days without. Mmmm, I love the South! So good to be back home.

For the first few days, I was way out of sorts. I kept waking up confused as I thought I was still in Paris and the bus was going to leave me...wait, I've got air conditioning and I'm not sleeping on a futon...what day is it? Do I go to work today? I'm not used to having to do so much quick thinking right when I wake up...kinda out of whack there the first few days back. So good to be home though, and filled up with all kinds of great memories of my travels! Looking forward to the next trip...just not right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment