Lost my dear sweet friend whom I loved dearly this past Wednesday. Visitation last night and funeral today. Good gracious, I'm gonna miss you, Hubert. Still can't really believe that you're really gone. Some people are so full of life it's hard to conceive of them not living. Actually you're now more alive than you've ever been. And I will see you again. We first met about 13 years ago through Jimmy Waters. Unbeknownst to me, Mr Jimmy had given you orders to "look after me" when he sent me to your church. You did just that, and so much more. You always, always, always made me feel so loved. And I loved you right back. You also loved to cut up and joke around, so of course, we saw eye to eye on that. I'll never forget the time I went with you to your revival in Monroe and you "made" me join in with the choir. You introduced me to the congregation and made a point to tell everyone that I was single. Thanks pal, I turned ten shades of red I'm sure. And you just loved it. (I did too.) There were many Sunday nights you encouraged me to play and sing, and I'm so grateful for your encouragement. A musical compliment from you meant a lot.
You and Joyce freely put out the welcome mat too. Countless times I came by for a visit, feeling right at home. Both of you always tried to convince me to stay longer. I remember calling to see if you were at home, and Joyce telling me to come on, but give you time to clean up since you had been working in the yard and didn't want me to see you looking "rough." I wouldn't have cared, but I knew you didn't want me to see you that way. I remember you specially showing me your tomatoes you grew, your beloved fishing boat, the deer you shot, the steps you built, and modeling your new "fat suit" you had to buy when you gained a few pounds. Of course you weren't fat, but there was a little more Hubert to love.
So many songs you led us in that will forever in my mind be linked to memories of you. O How marvelous, how wonderful, and my song shall ever be...He Keeps Me Singing as I go...Majesty, worship His Majesty...Praise God from whom all blessings flow...Zion's Hill...Thank you for giving to the Lord...He lives, He lives, Christ Jesus lives today...To God Be The Glory...Savior, like a shepherd lead us...Jesus Paid It All...O How He Loves You and Me...Up from the grave he arose...All hail the power of Jesus' name...My Jesus, I love thee...Oh how I love Jesus...Praise Him, praise Him, Jesus our blessed redeemer...Draw me nearer, nearer blessed Lord...Turn your eyes upon Jesus...Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine...For I know whom I have believed...He Hideth My Soul...On Christ the solid rock I stand...Because He lives, I can face tomorrow...It is well with my soul...O victory in Jesus, my Savior forever...There is sunshine in my soul today...Heaven came down and glory filled my soul...Since Jesus came into my heart... When we all get to heaven, what a day of rejoicing that will be...Redeemed, redeemed, redeemed by the blood of the Lamb...I will sing the wondrous story...Life now is sweet and my joy is complete for I'm saved, saved, saved...I love to tell the story...Sing, oh sing, of my Redeemer...I could go on and on. I was so fortunate to hear you and Joyce sing together, and also to hear you and Mr Jimmy sing My Savior First of All. Great memories. How we all loved your golden throat.
So many more memories I'll cherish...sharing meals in your kitchen...the Braves game...Sundays when you'd wear your red tie, just for me (and tell me so)...countless hugs...standing in the Crawfordville pastorium with Mr Jimmy, Miss Annette, Joyce and you, and feeling like the most special person in the world. Oh how I loved you Hubert, and right now I'm brokenhearted. I'm so thankful that I know the One who was sent to bind the brokenhearted. I'll love you eternally. Goodbye for now, but I'll meet you in the morning on the bright riverside, when all sorrows have drifted away.
No comments:
Post a Comment