Day 8 - May 18

Goodbye to Florence, and on to the French Riviera. From what I understand they prefer it to be called the Cote d'Azur... well, la ti da...
We stop just outside of Florence at another home of the Medici's, Villa Medici de Fiesole. Translation - Medici house in Fiesole. Sounds so much better in Italiano. Such a pretty sounding language, wish I had a better grip on it. I was getting the hang of it, and we up an switch countries. My first night in France at a restaurant and my order comes out in Italian.

Felt like such a dork! At least it was in Nice, where people speak both languages. The waiter spoke English of course. Anyway, back to the tour - the Medici's had quite a view of Florence from their villa. Felt kinda funny poking around in the garden because someone lives there in the villa. No guided tour though. But again with the renovations as the workers were re-plastering the walls and steps. I guess that's to be expected on a 6oo year old house.

Back on the bus and along the

Mediterranean coastline to Genoa for a lunch stop at Villa Durazzo Pallavicini, a park tucked into the hillside overlooking the sea. Didn't have much time here, but barely time to scarf down our picnic lunch and hustle through part of the garden. Nice cool lush garden retreat from the city though.

Next on to Hanbury Botanic Garden at Ventimiglia, Italy.

Wow, what a collection of every imaginable succulent, cactus, agave, and every other Mediterranean-climate-loving plant you could think of. So much to see, so little time. So many plants terraced on this hillside on the edge of the sea. Bursts of color, sweet scents, and touchable plants (and some I wish I didn't touch) everywhere you turn. Another favorite garden for me.

Late afternoon and we pull into Nice, to a not so nice hotel. Gave it's fair city a bad name. Oh well, only here a couple nights...a couple of long nights. Decent accommodations are wonderful thing when you're road weary. At least our tiny room for 3 was not as bad as some others that had no sheets, toilet paper, towels, etc. Ah, memories...that I'm trying to block out.
No comments:
Post a Comment