Day 6 - May 16

Up an at 'em and out of the eternal city today, and of course the rain leaves too. We head to Villa d'Este in Tivoli just outside Rome for a visit to an incredible terraced garden built by Cardinal Ippolito in the mid 1500's. Fountains, fountains and more fountains. But in accord with our ongoing curse with fountains, they were not working. Apparently, too much rain equals fountains that don't work. Bummer. If we could've seen any place with a fountain show, this was it. Supposed to be 500 jets, in cascades, water troughs, pools, grottoes, fountains and a massive water organ. Not sure what a water organ would sound like, but I bet it's worth hearing (and seeing). Anyway, we missed out, but it was still a magnificent garden and villa.

The cardinal built this supposedly to show off when he wasn't chosen to be the pope. He wanted them to see what they were missing in not picking him, and he had lavish parties here often.
I don't know Catholic history very well, but for some reason it always surprises me how political the Catholic church was and is.

Hard to imagine that anyone who would live so lavishly would truly understand the humility and servant attitude of the Savior whose name they proclaim. I guess in some parts of the world, my lifestyle would be considered lavish. Hmmmm.

Next we're off to Bomarzo, the park of monsters. We start winding up a mountain in the tour bus, but are headed off at the pass. The rains have caused the road to give way partially, and a tour bus won't fit on the part that remains. So we hike a ways...ugh, shoulda got myself in shape...no time to lolly gag, gotta keep up our don't blink pace.

This garden dates also to mid 1500's and was built by a guy who loved his late wife. Sweet but kind of a quirky way to show it. Filled with an odd mixture of seemingly randomly placed statues and sculptures, it was a unique change from the formality of the other gardens we'd seen so far. I'd be charmed to pieces if a guy would build a garden for me, but I'd much prefer he build it before I'm gone.

Next we keep north to Villa Lante in the little town of Bagnaia. Yep, another place for the cardinals to party. Terraced into the hillside overlooking the town, this garden was more intimate, but again with lots of water - cascades, fountains, water chain, water table, and basins. We were in luck as the water was flowing! No time to soak it up though.

Take some pics, rush rush, back to the bus. While waiting for the bus, our tour guide struck up a conversation with an old timer who was a WWII vet - on the Axis side. He found out we were from GA, and went on and on about how much he loved our state. Turns out he was a POW sent to GA during the war. I later learned from my war-buff dad that many times, the US would take captives and bring them back to the states to fill the void in the workforce from all the American sons & husbands who were fighting overseas. Many of the POW's became endeared to the families they were housed with and maintained contact even after being freed. We couldn't understand a single thing this fella said, but boy his face was sure enough lit up talking about our home state. Sweet.

We end the day in the northern region of Tuscany in wonderful Florence, my favorite city of the tour. A walkable, history-filled, clean, easy-paced city, with a lotta gelato. It was a good thing we ate light most of the day, because we were treated to a group dinner fit for a king at a popular local restaurant called Il Latini. We ate, and ate, and ate, for what I think was over three hours, I lost track. Inebriated on good eats, I think. Some of our crowd took well advantage of the free flowing wine, perpetuating the locals' stereotype of foolish Yanks, I'm sure. I had my first and last taste of the popular local aperitif called Limoncello. Might as well be Lemon Pledge to me. My insides were on fire. Just a dab'll do for me. Hope I didn't offend by not finishing it off. Just couldn't bring myself to have anymore of that furniture polish.
No comments:
Post a Comment