Day 6 - May 16
Left the big city today headed toward Northern Ireland, then Scotland. I'd had enough of city life for a while - too crowded, noisy, busy, inebriated. I'm too sheltered, I guess. Maybe I should have trained myself by going downtown Athens for a warm up before I left home. No, I think green acres is the place to be. Farm livin' is the life for me. Land spreadin' out...well, you know how it goes.
On the bus for a lot of riding up the east coast to Northern Ireland. Stopped along the way at an old cemetery and monastery ruins called Monasterboice. Monuments here date back to 923 AD. Some old bones in that cemetery. And the weather was kinda stormy too. Perfect for graveyard pics.
Next stop was Mount Stewart in Northern Ireland. Not a mount, but a 98 acre estate with a huge garden, manor house and lake. Got off the bus and the sun was shining, a little chill in the light breeze...I don't need my umbrella. 30 mins later - I'm fighting the elements! Where'd that come from? I think we experienced all four seasons in the period of about an hour. It was worth the soaking though, cause this place was incredible! Loads of exotic plants and everything blooming and in full color - monkey puzzle tree, Tasmanian blue gum, cork tree, primula, Chilean fire bush, huge rhodies in every color. Could have stayed here all day and still not seen it all. Loved it! Great way to clear all that Dublin busyness out of my head.
Back on the bus and time to say goodbye to bus driver Pat. He was a hoot! He'd get on the mic on the bus and tell us all about the local inside scoop. Sometimes he'd get going with that brogue and we had no idea what he was saying. Another time his cell phone rang and he forgot the mic was on. We all got in on that conversation! So funny...I don't think he ever knew. He added to the charm of our tour of Ireland. Glad we had him, even though he got us really lost in Dublin. Oh well, it made it exciting! Nothing like doing a u-turn in a big bus in the middle of the street in Dublin!
Got on a ferry in Belfast to cross over to Stranraer, Scotland. Had to wait a while on the ferry, so we broke out the cards for a mean game of gin. Tiredness and silliness kicked in, and everybody got to experience my silent laugh. Fun, fun...kinda hated for the ferry ride to end.
Dark and rainy entrance into Scotland. Not much to see in the dark. Couldn't wait to see it in the daylight! New bus driver named Derek - a Scot!
No comments:
Post a Comment