Monday, June 29, 2009

London






Day 12 - May 22

We had a free day in London today and were able to hit some of the high spots in town. Not nearly enough time to see it all. Saw the Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Big Ben, Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace. Too bad they all charge outrageous admission. Because of this, most of the sightseeing was from the outside, and I had to use my imagination about what was on the inside. Couldn't afford to get in all of them. We thought we were going to miss the changing of the guard at the palace, but were able to catch the very end. I couldn't believe that the ceremony lasts an hour. People were packed in like sardines to see it. And everybody was a foot taller than me, so all I saw was the backs of heads. I heard it was pretty impressive to see though. Maybe next time I'll plan better and get there early to get a good spot. For lunch I had a cornish pasty - meat, potatoes and pie crust, all in a handy little package. Can't go wrong with meat & potatoes. Probably not that healthy though.

My friends wanted to clothes shop, and I wanted to souvenir shop, so I got brave and went off on my own to find Harrod's. I was a little anxious about hoofing it solo in the big city, but I made it. Walked through Kensington Park by Kensington Palace, where Diana lived. Went on further up the street by Royal Albert Hall. Eric Clapton was playing there that night. Wished I could have gone. My roommate Robyn went and lucked up on a primo box seat and said it was awesome. I was a little envious as slowhand is one of my guitar heroes. Anyway, I made it to Harrod's and it was packed. It was quite a store. Mostly out of my price range, but nice to browse. After shopping, I got on the Tube and made it back to my hotel, a little stressed to say the least. I really don't dig big city life - too many people, too much noise, too much rush, too much traffic. Where are the cows & sheep? I was so frazzled by the time I got back, that I felt like I needed a stiff drink. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), I don't drink. Chocolate milk works wonders for me.

I experienced my first Broadway show that night. A group of us went to see Wicked. Didn't really know what to expect, but I loved it, even in the nosebleed seats. Got a big lump in my throat. Great story. I was changed for good, just as the song said.

It was a good day in London. I was really proud of myself for hitting the streets on my own. I think I may almost have a handle on this international travel thing. The travel bug has definitely bitten. Gotta scratch that itch to see the world. It's a big world out there and lots to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment