Day 9 - May 19
Sad day today - we're leaving Scotland. Really wanted to go north to the Highlands instead of south to England. But I'm not driving, so not much choice. On the drive south, we stopped near the border at Gretna Green and saw some awesome Highland Cows. Coolest cow ever. Long hair, long horns. Couldn't fit one in my suitcase, so I had to leave 'em there.
On to England to Tatton Park in Cheshire. They've got it all here - mansion, gardens, farm, and park. I loved the farm part with the walled vegetable garden. Want to keep out critters? Build a brick wall, simple as that. Made me wonder how my little 10x20 vegetable patch was doing back home. Vegetable gardening is such a fulfilling experience to me, to watch that little seed turn into a huge harvest and take it from the backyard to the dinner table. One of my favorite parts of summer. Maybe someday my garden can compare to theirs.
Next stop was further south into Wales to Bodnant Estate. 80 acres with a formal terraced area near Bodnant Hall, and then the Dell with a wild garden, stream, and wooded valley. So pretty, everywhere you look. Loved the trails through the Dell, down to the waterfall, and the walk along the stream. Awesome weather too. Hard to take a bad picture here. All you had to do is point and shoot and you're bound to get a good shot, even without trying.
Stayed the night in a neat little town called Chester. Lovely little town with a 3 mile wall around it. Ate dinner at a cool pub chain restaurant called Slug & Lettuce. Our table was two leather sofas with a coffee table. Sounds strange but it was great - great food, great relaxed atmosphere. I convinced my friends to walk the wall after dinner...what's 3 miles...not far...but that wall kept going, and going. Pretty town though and the folks were friendly. Nice too, that we were staying in a really nice hotel. Never really realized how spoiled I am until I have to stretch out of my comfort zone. I'm such a spoiled American...or am I just old? Combination of both? I think so.
No comments:
Post a Comment