I went on my first international trip recently. It was a study abroad of the gardens of Ireland, Scotland, England & France with the Horticulture Dept at UGA. I was excited and anxious at the same time, but it was all that I imagined it would be, and more. Over the next few days, I'll try to recall some of the highlights.
Day 1- May 11
My first flight since 1993. Things have changed a lot since then. Fortunately, great friends like Jen and my travel mate Tracy helped immensely (Jen with the parking pass, travel aids & lots of advice, and Tracy to go along with me and make sure I got on the right plane - although we got distracted and had to go through security twice!) I happened to notice that I was the only one grinning in the terminal. I guess most were traveling for business on a Monday morning. I didn't care if I looked like a goober - I was going to Europe!!! Flew from Atl to Newark, NJ (nice airport by the way), then a 5 hr layover until flying to Shannon, Ireland overnight. Takeoff is a thrill to me. It blows my mind how that big hunk of metal gets up in the air. Love to see the view from above of the rivers, ballparks, roadways, countryside. And then once in the clouds - amazing - what a view! Kinda cramped on the long flight to Shannon though. Slept a couple hours maybe. Sat next to a little old couple from Ireland. Couldn't understand a word they said! Nice though!
No comments:
Post a Comment